Marathon Weekend 2010

Marathon Weekend 2010 {long one}

What a weekend. It came and gone way to fast. We got up there late Thursday, and Friday packet pick up. Then FJ got to visit with his Father for the first time in ten years. Then we were late to Pre half marathon dinner. I had so much fun!! And it was so great to see everyone there,and meet new faces. Hi Richard and Mary!!

We were up for the half marathon to get Fj there to run. He got to run after all.{ Long story there}. While waiting around, we were in a snow flurry. Team Voice was at tent sm-z waiting for everyone to meet up. Minus one who had to deal with a cat fight{another long story}haha E and I went on out to the start line. We got to see the race to start. It is different to be on the spectator side of the fence. The only thing I didn’t like was that the news trucks were blocking our view. I got to see Fj cross the start line, and then we headed out to MK to see him come up Main Street and come through the castle. We barley beat him there. He is quick. 8-9 minute miles.
We saw him from the monorail, we also saw Mike, and Chris from up there. We headed back to Epcot to see him come in. The monorail broke down and we had to go over to the second track. We went over to the bus side to watch everyone come in. We saw Chris come in and got a high 5 from him. That was cool. And then we waited and here comes FJ, by this time the weather was getting worse. Sleet, and rain and the temperature dropped. We took off to see fj cross the finish line. That’s were we saw Justin come in. Fj was so excited and had this huge smile on his face. When he saw us he was yelling did you see me finish!!! He made it to us and he was getting cold. E took him to the car and told me if I saw Chris or Mike, anyone at that point to head over to the car to get warm.
So I headed back out to the area where the runners come into Epcot. I saw everyone but Deb, and Byron. They got by me. I was freaking out, because I stayed out there to them come in and I waited till the last runner came in and I started to freak out. Seconds later I got the alerts they finished. The weather was nasty and I think that they all did great in it.
We later went to the Jungle cruise meet. That was fun. Then from there we hung out with Justin and his wife and Amanda. They went on to ride Space mountain and the three of us went to eat. Then we met up with Matt. He had to leave Sunday for School on Monday. After that we had to go get ready for the full marathon.

I actually slept well,and I was up nearly every hour, till the alarm went off. We got dressed fixed the fuel bottles.The news said it was 30,with a freeze warning, and wind chill warning as well, which made it 20. I had on my running shorts,Under Armour, Team Voice shirt, the the pull over, and pants, 2 pairs of socks, my knee braces,a hat, and gloves. It was heavy. Man it was cold out. We had ice on the car. We drove over to the race. Sat in the car till we had to go. Wondered around trying to find where we had to go. Found out we had to push through bag check to toward line up.

It was nearly a 20 minute walk. Found where we had to be and just waited. They did opening ceremony and The first wave was off. 10 Minutes later we went. 13 minutes till we crossed the start line. It was crowded. We got in to our pace and headed out. Mile 2 or 3 Eric dropped the fuel belt fooling with his pants. It also knocked his phone off hid side. He didn’t notice that till mile 4. When we looped back around he went looking for it. We lost some time here. So the person who found it called my phone. So now he knew it was safe and able to focus. We made up some time and made our 10 miler in 2:31 back on target but still off. E got really quiet in the Mk. We saw Amanda in Mk. Still really quiet. I asked E if he was ok. He answered ok. We are headed out of MK and I can hear his breathing change, I asked again are you ok, My foot is starting to hurt. So I was trying to take his mind off of it, by singing to what my ipod was playing, and reading the goofy signs.As we made the turn towards AK he was in tears from pain, I asked him what was wrong and he told me, We slowed down. he stretched. And we kept going. Our pace is now off and we were and hour slow at this point, just before the gate going into AK. The tears came back, E would not stop or let a medic look at him. We are now headed out of AK , and there is Amanda, Jeff, and Jeff’s Mom. That was great!! It gave E a boost he really needed. And headed back out E is pointing and he is pointing at the McDonald’s over near the Value resorts. I said yes the Not so scary McDonald’s any more. I was noticing all the other people were passing us. And it just seemed we were not gaining any ground. We are now coming up on the part were you got out and make the u turn to come back to head to HS.

E cried he didn’t want to make the u turn walk. I had to use the potty at this point, and there was just one. It wasn’t being used till I got to it. I waited. 5 minutes passed. 8 minutes later she came out. E put some bio freeze on his left calf. We made the u turn and now we are just walking, E really didn’t have it in him to go any faster. So all the sudden people started running, and pushing through us, I asked what was going on and the next thing I knew their was an official yelling 48,47, 46… I said Holy Cats E we have to run to the 21 mile maker so we do not get swept. E just took off running, I had to slow him down. Then we made it over the first over pass, headed to the second over pass and the officials said we had to speed up to stay in the race. I just grabbed E and started pulling him. He was in such pain, and he was so cold,I tried to get him to stop, he wouldn’t. He needed to, I was so worried I was going to be picking him up off the ground.
We entered HS, the official tied a balloon to a lady and came back to us and said we had to stay in front of the balloon,and the next point after that was 23.5 so we would not get swept,and we had time we could make up the 2 minutes. E looked at the lady behind us and he said to her, oh your it. We were headed into the backstage tour and the lady with the balloon took off running. Crap, We will never catch her.{ I was in panic mode} E teared up and said go, He will find a medic, he had to yell at me to get me to go. I did. I went I took off after that balloon. I caught up with her. I stayed up with her. Then all the sudden there is an orange flag in a running group ahead of me. The official came back to the group of us and said you have to stay with the orange flag. I could not catch her. I was no way fast enough. This was in the section where the Osbourne Lights are. I tried like hell. The crowd started to get large and loud here, and I passed American Idol, and started to turn right head out there is Amanda, Jeff and his Mom and Trace and Lisa. I yelled I think we are going to get swept, And E is back behind me. Jeff yells back keep going you can make this. I took off again. I looked up and noticed the orange flag was gone, but no one was removed from the course. I kept going. Now I am past the front of HS and I turned the second to last corner and we had a runner down, medic were already on her. I kept going just before the last left turn to head over to the Boardwalk, their is a group of officials and vans, but they were not stopping the last few runners. Then I heard behind me GO E YOU CAN DO THIS!! And at the same time I heard that, the official pointed and said you are the last official runner. I realized she wasn’t pointing at me there was someone behind me. It was E!!!! HOLY CATS!!! OMG!! You made it, I thought you were stopping. E said he wasn’t doing another marathon again. We pasted that last check point and made it with 24 seconds to spare. The official came up to us and said you are safe as long as you do not stop. E was in tears and the medics were hanging around.I told him we made it this far suck it up and let’s finish this !!! All the sudden E just took off. We were passing people left and right. Deb was waiting to see us by and she jumped up and offered all kinds of things, E took some skittles from her. He needed to see another firendly face. And he picked up pace again. We were passing people left and right. Another wave of tears came and the medics came back and ask if things were ok I said yes.

Now we are entering Epcot. E just kept moving forward. HE said after he saw me take off and all and how he always tells me to never give up, he took his own advice and caught up.{plus no medics were around when he was asking for one} The closer we got to Spaceship earth, more tears fell. E was so overwhelmed with everything going on he started to hyperventilate. So I had to calm down too. I was super excited cause we really did this. Last mile and we made it. We rounded that last turn and there it was 26 mile marker.

I asked E if he wanted his picture with it he said yes. So we did that real quick. And headed back out and there is Amanda, Jeff, and his Mother. I was yelling and screaming and E was loosing his breathe again. I said look there it is. The finish line…. WE MADE IT.. WE DID IT.. E grabbed my hand and arms in the air and we crossed!!! 7:22 we had only 7 minutes left. HOLY CATS!! We got our medals, and pictures, met up with our wonderful friends. E was so happy to see them. He really needed the extra support. Jeff started the car for us so the heat would be on, E was so cold. He could hardly move. After our friends left we sat in the car trying to figure out how in the hell are we going to get to our room? We started laughing about it. I drove us back. We valet parked, and they got me a wheel chair so I could get E to the room. Hot shower, and a 3 hour nap he was better. I never took a nap. I just kept going.

And it was his birthday.

Today I am really sore. But I don’t care it’s temporary and I am a Marathoner.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.